Outside of work, I’m finding that I spend more and more time on my iPad over anything else in the house. Why not with 3d? With the recent addition of the 3d printer, I wanted to do more of that after work, and with some of the more industrial vs art projects I want to do, I found that I needed to move to a CAD workflow anyways, or at least one that started with one. I love MODO absolutely to death but a CAD program it is not. Which led me to re-stumble onto Shaper3d.
Now I’d played with Shapr3d before, but with the 3d printer, I actually had a use for it now, so I gave it a spin again. And while it’s still pretty light on features, it’s just so damn intuitive and easy to use on the couch. If you’re looking for something to get your feet wet in CAD and have an iPad Pro, I highly encourage you to take a look at it. You can learn more at shapr3d.com or just download the app at https://itunes.apple.com/hu/app/shapr3d/id1091675654?mt=8.
So while I dabbled a little, I really needed a real project to use both this and the 3d printer for. Other than doing design, I also play brass instruments in a couple different groups, and realized I’d have a use for something to hold a mute, and I never got around to getting one that was commercially available. So why not? My wife (who’s a much better musician than I am) and I got to work scratching out a simple idea, and within probably 30 minutes had a working design in Shapr3d.
It’s a pretty basic solid body design that clips onto the lip of a music stand and has a shelf to hold various mutes and a hole for others to slide into. Only need a single mute? Only print out one. From there, it was pretty quick to just export it as an STL and send it over to my printer.
Unfortunately, due to some poor settings on my part printing this, as well as an unlevel bed and some poor quality filament, the print was pretty awful. I tried using some epoxy, sanding, and spray paint to help it out, but it really didn’t do that much.
Printing problems and all, the stand worked beautifully, and I was able to use it the following night at a jazz concert. However, I’d like to make some of the following changes:
- Better print quality: higher resolution, better filament
- Lighter design: I made this way too bulky
- Make it collapsible: While this worked, it doesn’t store very nice. Having it collapse somehow would store nicer and since it’d be in multiple pieces, I could probably orient it better to print with fewer supports
All in all, a fairly successful prototype that should have a version 2.0 of here soon.